Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Gospel centered parenting

I am listening to a seminar by C.J. Mahaney entitled "Gospel Centered Parenting." Download it here. Today I also read a very interesting article on parenting from a 1978 issue of Christianity Today entitled Parents and Prodigles. My favorite quote from this article was "It is only God to whom true parenthood belongs. The rest of us are imposters, shocked and dazed by the whole experience." That is exactly how I feel from time to time and that is why Gospel centered parenting is so important. I have to recognize how sinful I am and how in need of God's grace I am in order for me to teach my children and lead them into relationship with God. If you're interested in some of these thoughts or if you've had them yourself, check out the resources linked above.

My hope and prayer for my kids is that God gives them the grace and faith to overcome my shortcomings and my sinfulness in parenting them. As He has for me though, He will also need to overcome their own shortcomings and sinfulness as He draws them unto Himself.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Yes, raising my kids for Jesus is by far the most important job I've ever done. It was my highest aspiration and I'm so thankful that God gave me the opportunity to do it. He has been good.

Anonymous said...

I have downloaded it and will listen with Alex tonight.
T

Anonymous said...

Andy---
You, like me, were blessed with parents who were thankful for their blessings and who strove to be obediant to the Word's teachings. Those things will hold you in good stead as you pass them down the line. As a pleased G'ma, I'd say you and Amanda are making great progress. You will do your best, and the Lord will do the rest.
Shube

James.kutnow said...

its been a while since I checked in...you keep up quite well with the blog. I just downloaded this as it is a topic of great interest right now. I just started working through a workbook titled, "Discipline them with love" (Betty Chase). It is pretty good so far...

I hope your summer is going well.

James

Andy Gammons said...

Good comments.