Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Pretty Amazing Grace

On my most recent trip to Starbucks to finish off the rest of my Father's Day gift from Shube with a venti iced mocha, I found all of the CD's were on sale for $7.95. I'm not sure why, maybe our Starbucks is closing. (Alex, according to this map your store is okay. Shube the one near your work is out.) I couldn't help but pick up Neil Diamond's latest CD "Home After Dark". It is his second recording with Johnny Cash's former producer Rick Rubin. I'm not sure that Neil has had the same success with Rubin that Cash did, but I really enjoyed his first outing "12 Songs". If you're looking for some good music, check your local Starbucks.

I must admit that whenever I think of Neil Diamond and even when I saw him on American Idol I couldn't help but think of the Saturday Night Live sketch. I don't think he's really like that though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting song. Any insights?

Andy Gammons said...

Tricia,
I've listened to the song a number of times now. It's obviously about a romantic relationship. It is about how this woman has given him grace when he messes up. It is interesting that ND uses all of these Biblical and hymnal allusions. He has another song off of his last album called "Man of God". I'm not sure if he is a "man of God" but he certainly is versed in the literature.

Andy