Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hymn of the Week--The Doxology

A few weeks ago we were at Dave and Joni's house and we sang the doxology before lunch. I noticed that the boys didn't know this one. It instantly made my list for our next HOTW. This is as classic a hymn as there is. At Ripley Blvd. Baptist Church, where I grew up, this song was sung every week as the ushers came forward and right before Pastor Tim prayed to "bless both the gift and the giver". Our church and most in America don't sing it any more. This week at the Gammons house we'll be bringing it back.

Enjoy my recent favorite version of the Doxology below.

Hymn of the Week
The Doxology

Words by Thomas Ken
Music by Louis Bourgeois


Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Wonderful choice! You're right..it's not sung often anymore. I'm glad I had many occasions to sing it and hear it sung.

Anonymous said...

Our church in Pittsburgh sang it every week as does our church here in Marion. We must be lucky. Did you know there are many different tunes to the words? I have sang it three different ways now including the one you referenced in your post.
T

Andy Gammons said...

Tricia,
I have only SUNG the Doxology with this tune, but I did know that there were other tunes.

Andy