Thursday, October 23, 2008

Suffering and the sovereignty of God

Romans 8:22-23
2 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.

A little girl gets Leukemia; a sister loses a baby; another struggles for her own; four kids at our church are in a terrible car accident; a friend's father dies; loved ones struggle with loneliness; the economy tanks: this is just a short list of the suffering that we have seen in the lives around us. These are the things that I have been thinking about lately. I don't know much, but there are some things that I believe. I'll throw them out there. Tell me what you think.
  1. God is in complete control of all things.
  2. God is completely good and completely for those that trust in Him.
  3. There is sin and pain in the world.
  4. God uses pain and sin in the lives of those He loves to draw them into greater likeness to His son.
I have been trying to quickly pull some references together for these. If pushed, I could take the time to do that. But for time's sake, I'll leave those off. What do you think? Where do God's sovereignty and the world's pain coalesce?

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I couldn't agree more. I would have no peace if I didn't believe with all my heart that God loves me and is in control of all that happens in my life. I know that I am in His hands and that He is good all the time! Amen and Amen!

Colbert Family said...

Shelley and I have talked a lot about how we don't know how anyone can go through difficult times and get through them without our Saviour. We are seeing how our faith has been tested and is strengthening. We are also seeing how Abbey's leukemia journey is helping to change other people's eternity... and we rejoice in God for that, even though it is the hardest thing in the world to see your little girl in pain. We are eagerly awaiting leaving this world and seeing Him face to face. Thx.
Jim

Anonymous said...

Andy--
Lots to say about this topic, but I'll just quote my favorite song from these last several years:

God hath not promised skies always blue,
Flower strewn pathways, all our lives through;
God hath not promised sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow, peace without pain.

BUT God hath promised strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, light for the way,
Grace for the trials, help from above,
Unfailing kindness, undying love.

Love ya,
Shube