Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Ben's first day


Yesterday when I got home from work, Amanda said that Ben had been preoccupied all day. She said that she had asked him a number of times what he was thinking about and he said, "Nothing." When I got home I asked him if he was nervous about starting school. He said that he was a little and then he started to cry (which of course made Amanda cry.) I took him to his room and talked about how when I went to school, my brother and sister had already done and I knew what it was going to be like. I told him that he is the first one to go from our family so he didn't know what it was like. Then I told him that God doesn't want us to worry. We read some from Matthew 6 about worrying.

When we went out to dinner Amanda said that there was a program at school for kindergarteners. Ben said that he didn't want to go. I told him that I thought it would be good if we went. In God's providence, it was a great opportunity for us to see the school more and to calm his nerves. It was also fun.

This morning he woke up ready to roll. Amanda said that things went off without a hitch. I was there at noon to pick him up with the rest of the family and Ben gave us the the "thumbs up". We found out that he will be able to walk to school with the crossing guards and even ride the bus home. He thinks that's very cool! Thanks to all of you who prayed for him this morning. Mom, thanks for continuing to pray for him and his teacher. You're a blessing!

P.S.
The above picture was completely unprompted. I had to work hard to keep from falling down laughing. He is a hilarious little boy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pic. Love the boy. I've been thinking of him all morning! God bless you, our little STUDENT!
G'ma Shube

Sharon said...

I too have thought about Benjamin all day and prayed on and off for him. It's good that he was able to go to the "kindergarten night" at school and see how things work. For someone who likes all of their ducks in a row...coming from one who is much the same...new things can be very scarey. I'm so glad that it all went so well. It sounds like he had a GREAT first day. I especially love the new shoes in the picture and the knee bent and up on the step pose. He is precious!

Gregg said...

The pose is hilarious, and the shoes are stylin'. BMOC.

Ben must've given me the "thumbs-up" gesture 10 times last weekend...love it!

Sarah said...

I'm sure glad that things are going well on the school front. I can't wait to hear more about it from Ben.

You guys have been in my prayers.