Thursday, October 18, 2007

This old house

Amanda had been talking for a while about tearing up the carpet in the living room and refinishing the wood floor underneath. Last weekend we decided the time had come. We invited Dave and Brad over for a work and pizza party. (Thanks guys!) When we pulled up the carpet in the hallway there was 12"x12" tile. When the refinishing guy came over he asked, "Do you have a circular saw?" If he knew the men in my family, he would have known just how ridiculous that question was. He went on to tell me how to rip up the subfloor under the tile. I went to Sears, bought a saw, Amanda and the kids spent the night at her mom's and I got to work. Hours later, the floor was ready for them to install the new wood floor in the entry way.

I thought of Joe and my dad a lot while I was working. Projects like this were not something attempted while I was growing up. There is a great story about my dad trying to fix the bath faucet in our house in Alpena. When the water started shooting out of the hole in the wall, we knew we were in trouble. This is the mechanical background that I inherited. I did learn a lot from such mechanical masters as Tim Pollard and Don Liske growing up though. Now, projects like this seem like a challenge and even a little fun.

We have been living at Shirley's this week while the floors get finished. I stopped by there this morning before work and they look great. I am excited to have this project done and get back to normal. We are supposed to be able to put the furniture back tomorrow evening. I can't wait.




















----------------
Now playing:
Tom Waits - Alice
via FoxyTunes

3 comments:

Sharon said...

The floors are really coming along! They're going to be beautiful. Keep the pictures coming!

Anonymous said...

This looks great! If you need any more help with carpentry just give me a call!
supervisors r us

Sarah said...

The safety goggles are a great look for you. It really makes you look like you are one with your tough guy fix it man self.

The floors look great!