Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Accident

One Saturday when I was growing up, my dad was in the bathroom working on the bath faucet. All of a sudden, we heard the sound of water shooting out of a large hole. The faucet had come off and water was spraying everywhere. My dad rushed downstairs to find the water shutoff in the crawl space. Unable to find it, he called the previous owner. I can still see him on the phone, "Uh, Leon. This is Don Gammons . . .," his hand shaking and his voice wavering with frustration.

I was home today at lunch. We had insulation sprayed in our attic last week. This past weekend when we used the microwave, smoke started coming out and it smelled like burning plastic. We decided that I should go up into the attic and check out the vent. Instead of venting the microwave and to the outside, I think they just vented it up into the attic. The only I can figure out about the smell is that the insulation people covered the vent or blew insulation into the vent. When I went into the attic to check I couldn't really see anything. On my way back to the ladder I was walking and then . . . aaahh. I fell right through the ceiling into Matthew's room. My arms were outstretched and my legs were dangling. I finally just jumped down through the hole.

After I cleaned all the insulation and the drywall up, called a handyman to come and fix the hole, and called the insulation place to get out here and look at the problem, I felt a lot better. I am a bit bruised and scraped, but I'm all right. I think I swallowed about an R30 rating of insulation. Benjamin was very nervous and scared. He has a pretty tender heart. I think he needed a nap too. I sure wasn't earlier, but I'm ready to laugh about this if you'd like to call or make any disparaging comments. You can see all of the photos here.

----------------
Now playing: Feist - Past In Present
via FoxyTunes

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only say that I am very glad that you are ok. I was quite concerned when I heard from Chris about your falling through the ceiling and it was quite the relief to see you back in the office nearly unscathed from the incident.

Colbert Family said...

Glad you're ok. Sounds like you might have a bone to pick with the insulation company.

Jim

Gregg said...

Good to hear that you're fine - I can only imagine the heartstopping moment when you first fell through...I would've screamed like a little girl!

Funny post!

Allison said...

This is one of the reasons I'm deathly afraid of attics...my dad scared me straight when I was very young about falling through. Knowing that was a possibility has kept me out of them in my adulthood. Glad you're okay!!

the kingshott's said...

Andy
I am glad your ok as well. I have found that my ego is often the most hurt when things like this happen. I am really glad you are in a place where you can laugh about all of this. It will be a great badge of honor for future story telling in your family.

Brian