Thursday, January 3, 2008

And so it begins . . .

When I was growing up, every night was the same. We would finish dinner, clear the table and then pull chairs over to the sink. Tricia would wash, Joe would rinse and I would dry and put away. While I grew up dreading this, it was part of my learning to work.

Last night, as they have been most nights lately, the boys were fairly high strung. I decided that their time had come. After dinner they cleared the table (They have been doing this for a while.), pulled chairs to the sink and began doing the dishes. I had to do some supervision to make sure that the rice was off of the pot and that Caleb didn't scald himself, but it went quite well

Talking after the boys went to bed, Amanda and I marveled at how nice it was to not have to do the dishes and looked forward to the passing on of many other household duties. I think this summer might be Ben's first date with a lawn mower.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and I have a sidewalk that isn't up to snuff, so will let it wait until the boys get here next...
G'pa

Sharon said...

THE LAWN MOWER!!!!!! For crying out loud...he's only 5:) He won't be tall enough to reach the handle or whatever you call that part that you hold on to:) It's a good thing for kids to know that they're part of a bigger thing called family. Their contribution is important too even if it's just washing dishes. I have lots of memories of all of you doing the dinner dishes and especially the longer than usual trips to the bathroom during that time with the always anticipated yell...MOM, Joe/Tricia/Andy's trying to get out of doing the dishes:) Thanks for working so hard at being good parents.

Anonymous said...

I think this summer might be Ben's first date with a lawn mower.

ROFL. You are a slave driver! :)

Anonymous said...

Why did I think washing was the best job? It's totally the hardest. Rinsing is cake...

T

Gregg said...

Awesome picture!

I need to get some of them there kids to help around the house...