Friday, January 11, 2008

Is Christianity funny?

Is Christianity funny? It sure is, but not half as funny as Christians. That's the take away that I get from spending a little bit of time at a new Christian satire site Larknews.com. I first found out about this site when reading an article about it in Christianity Today. The funniest headline that I read on the site was about California pastor Rick Warren, Warren to buy Saints, build Purpose-Driven Field. While I thought the site was funny, it didn't seem to be quite a good as it's predecessor The Wittenburg Door. I loved the article entitled 2008 Resolutions of the Televangelists. I don't even know who Randy and Paula White are but this resolution cracked me up.

"Randy and Paula White: We resolve to remember to pay for private jets we say we're going to purchase, instead of coughing up $112,000 in damages for cancelling the deal. And we resolve to place in our bio only those doctorates we actually earned, and to claim only doctorates at schools that actually exist. Oh, and we resolve to make sure there are no pesky lawyers around when we scam an old lady out of her life savings. Amen."

The CT article tackled the tough question behind publications like this. Is it all right to make fun of Christianity and Christians? I say, "Yes. Especially when they are doing ridiculous things!" Satire has always been a sincere form of criticism. As long as the criticism/satire is aimed at people or institutions and not at God, I think its great. Check out the above sites. You'll get a good laugh at your own expense.

----------------
Now playing: Ryan Adams - Oh My Sweet Carolina
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Colbert Family said...

I couldn't stop laughing. Nice.

Jim

Gregg said...

Hilarious - right up my alley!

I laughed HARD at the "Bassist convinced he's the best musician in the worship band" article.

And I agree, a little good-natured satire is perfectly fine...sometimes necessary!