Monday, December 7, 2009

Hymn of the Week--Who Is He In Yonder Stall

Last week Abraham posted the request, "Recommend some Christmas music that most of us have never heard of." Shube recommended the hymn Who Is He In Yonder Stall? I had never heard of this carol, but I have listened to it a lot this week. It is great. I even sent a request (I've never done this before.) to Pastor Dan that we might sing it together some time during advent. I hope that you enjoy it too and that it helps you worship the "King of Glory!"

Hymn of the Week
Who Is He In Yonder Stall
Words and music by Benjamin R. Hanby

Who is He in yonder stall
At Whose feet the shepherds fall?
Who is He in deep distress,
Fasting in the wilderness?

Refrain

’Tis the Lord! O wondrous story!
’Tis the Lord! the King of glory!
At His feet we humbly fall,
Crown Him! crown Him, Lord of all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Andy.
This has been my favorite Christmas song forever. (Well, since Moody days, which seems like forever.) I like the Talley's arrangment you linked to! The melody is simple and elegant and the lyric tells Who the babe really is. Perfection. :)

Shube

Sharon said...

I love it too!

The Martin's said...

We love this one, too! :) I am wondering if you guys have the book "O Come Let Us Adore Him" It is a small book that has many Christmas songs in it, with the story of how they came to be written. (this one is in there) We have used it for a couple of years now during advent. Seems like your family would enjoy it. (The author's last name is Morgan...can't remember the first)

Sharon said...

"O Come Let Us Adore Him" is written by Robert J. Morgan who also wrote "Then Sings My Soul". He is a Nashville pastor and one of my favorite devotional writers. If it's as good as his other books it's worth buying.

Colbert Family said...

Hi Andy,
Just wanted to say "hi" to you guys and request a post topic... wondering how Amanda is doing/feeling. Is there a date set for her c-section? Let her know I've been thinking about her and am excited to here that new baby girl Gammons is here! :)