Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ruth


From Lucy Ruth

When we named Molly's middle name after her great grandma Pearl, I wrote a post about why we made that decision.  When we were deciding on names for our newest Gammons girl, we new from the start that we wanted to have her middle name be Ruth.  It holds a few significances: Shirley's (Amanda's mom's) middle name is also Ruth and my grandma's (Dad's mom's) name was Ruth.

I could celebrate so many things about my grandma.  She was lavish with her love.  She would open the windows and "air out" the house for days before we came for a visit.  My love of sweets is an inherited gift.  Breakfast at her house was either Froot Loops or pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream.  Everything that my mother knows and that I would eventually learn about hospitality we learned from Grandma.  When people were in her home, she served them.  I loved to sit next to her and touch her wrinkly smooth skin and wonder at her big bicep.  She played with us.  She touched us.  ("Do you need an adjustment?")  She payed us endless attention.  She laughed.  Her life ended too soon.  When my dad died, it broke her heart and began her downward path.  She and Grandpa died within a month of each other.

The thing that I will always be thankful to her and Grandpa and especially to God for though, is the heritage of faith that she and her family have given to me and my family.  I love Jesus because Grandma loved Jesus.  My mom became a Christian, I think, through the love of my dad's family.  I can still hear her reading Our Daily Bread and a psalm from the KJV around the breakfast table.  That made an impression.  When I pull the Bible out after dinner, I think of her.

My hope for Lucy Ruth is that some day she will grow into the kind of lavishly loving, always serving, ever laughing, woman of God that my Grandma Ruth was.  I wish my dad were alive to know how important he and his family are to me.  I was 19 when he died.  Too young to have figured any of this out.  I look forward to the time, through God's grace, when I can introduce Grandpa Don and Great Grandma Ruth to sweet little Lucy Ruth Gammons.  Maranatha!  Come Lord Jesus.

You can see some more photos from the last few days by clicking on Lucy's picture below. 

Lucy Ruth

5 comments:

Sharon said...

I always felt that I had hit the motherload with my mother in law! When I hear someone complain about their mother in law it's hard to relate. She was special and all of the things that you talked about. Yes, she did pray for me, and I'm sure that her prayers were a big part of my surrendering my life to Jesus. I miss her and I know that she would be so pleased to have one of her great grandchildren named after her. Don really loved his mom and I know that Lucy Ruth's name would have brought a big smile to his face.

Bill Roehl said...

I absolutely love the photo Andy. Congrats again, she's beautiful.

philthecarl said...

Bigtime brother! Congratulations!

She's beautiful man!

Sharon said...

This made me think of Ruth Gammons this morning. A pastor received this email;
I had a "drug" problem when I was young. I was "drug" to church on Sunday morning. I was "drug" to church on Sunday night. I was "drug" to church on Wednesday night. I was "drug" to Sunday school every week and to Vacation Bible School every summer. Those "drugs" are still in my veins, and I don't think I'll ever kick the habit.
That could be Don's testimony. Ruth and Wayne made sure that all of the above happened and I'm sure it wasn't always easy. Don, even in his rebellious times, loved church and that is due in great part to the efforts of Ruth since Wayne traveled all week and she was the one who had to make things happen. Thank you Mom for persevering!

Anonymous said...

congratulations to you guys!! i am so happy for you...5 blessings :)
please tell amanda i said hello! i hope you had a wonderful christmas and a great new year!
hazel