Thursday, December 3, 2009

Read Alouds--White Stallion of Lipizza

As I've mentioned before, sometimes when we pull a book out of our read aloud pile, I am skeptical. I was with this one. Who wants to read a story of a little Austrian boy who want to grow up to ride the famous white Lipizzaner stallions? Answer: my little boys and I do. White Stallion of Lipizza by Marguerite Henry is a story more about dreams and the struggles to make them come true than about the white stallions. Hans Haupt (I struggled with the German names and words through out this book.) wanted to ride the Lippizaners from the first time he saw them. But he was only the son of a baker.

There are so many levels of a good children's book. I know the kids appreciate the good story. I hope that from time to time they get a little further down and recognize the deeper themes. This is another one that I would recommend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy--
You know my song Riden Sie Pferden (for foot horsie rides), right. Well, pferd is the German word for horse. Say it like the pf in pfeffernusse---those swell cookies! Amanda can help you. :)

Viel spass!!! (Have fun!)
Shube

Anonymous said...

Have you done the EB White trilogy :)
Trumpet of the Swan
Stuart Little
Charlottes Web

I bought them for the boys but mom said you've done them all. True?

T