Thursday, March 8, 2007

Mr. Rogers

Every day after lunch, the boys and Amanda sit down and watch our favorite TV neighbor, Fred Rogers. I remember watching Mr. Rogers from time to time growing up. I didn't watch it very much, but I remember it fondly. Now, I enjoy Mr. Rogers even more. The thing I love most about him is his music. All of his songs are creative and have an amazing message to kids. They are unusual musically as well (I'll defer to Shube and Brad on how they are different musically.) My favorite songs of his are "You Are Special" and "It's You I Like". I get a frog in my throat each time I listen to them.




You are my friend
You are special
You are my friend
You're special to me.
You are the only one like you.
Like you, my friend, I like you.

In the daytime
In the nighttime
Any time that you feel's the right time
For a friendship with me, you see
F-R-I-E-N-D special
You are my friend
You're special to me.
There's only one in this wonderful world
You are special.

For about six months I have been looking for the music of Mr. Rogers. He doesn't have a CD in print and they are no where on the web to download. There is one place on the web that you can listen to them, but no download. You enjoy it though. Click here. You'll need real player to listen, which is kind of a pain. Through some sweet work arounds, I was able to record some of these today to bring home to the boys. As soon as Mr. Rogers (or his people) put these on a CD, I'll be the first one to pick it up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should take a trip to Pittsburgh to talk to "his people". I'll see what I can do.

Gregg said...

Mr. Rogers is the man, but the mailman wigged me out -- I don't trust any grown man that rides a tricycle and calls himself Mr. McFeely.

I've always been partial to "Everybody's Fancy"..."everybody's fancy, everybody's fine, your body's fancy and so is mine."

Andy Gammons said...

I couldn't agree with Shube more about starting our own show. I was just thinking about that last night. I nominate Gregg for the host and creative director job. We would call it "Gregg's Show". He would be perfect. It would be very slow, nice and deliberate--in the model of Mr. Rogers. I think it would be great. G--Pitch it to your local public television station. Or better yet, pitch it to TPT, Twin Cities Public Television.

Gregg said...

Count me in. Can I change my shoes and slip into a cardigan sweater at the beginning?

Surely we could include BoSteve and Larry.

owenthomas said...

if u love mr rogers u need to go onto weebls stuff then search on it the ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny its pure rogers material