Friday, March 9, 2007

Tim Herrmann

I have always loved my mom and dad. They have been the most important people in my life. But ever since I was young, God has brought other people into my life to act as guides, supports, cheer leaders. Joel Walker taking Joey and I out for frosties at Wendy's. Tim Pollard on winter retreats to Spring Hill. Tim Powell letting me ride in the front seat on countless van trips. Jay Kesler eating pizza with me and eventually marrying Amanda and me.

One person stands out among these many gifts. I met Tim Herrmann the day my dad died. He came into Pastor Chuck's office to pray with and support me right after I found out the news. I know now (after following him into the same profession) that this was part of his job. It was maybe even part of his job to offer for me to come and see him when I got back to campus. The part that definitely was beyond his job were the many, many lunches that we had in the DC, the trips to Ivanhoe's, the dinners at his home with his family, praying for Amanda and me at our wedding, his walking with me even today.

This all comes up because as usual, I have recently sent out some resumes. Tim is a constant at the top of my reference list. I usually end up calling him and letting him know that the cycle has begun again. I just got off the phone with a potential supervisor and he said, "Tim Herrmann is an important person in our world. If Tim Herrmann has good things to say about you that is a good thing for your candidacy." Once again God (through Tim) has gone before me. In my work life, Tim has always been the person that I call before I apply for a job and then the person that I call when I need an "'At a boy" after I don't get the job. When we lived n Indiana, I was able to see Tim and his wife Kathy more often. Now, I am looking forward to their trip to Minnesota this summer.

Thank you Tim for being an agent of God's love, grace and wisdom in my life. This is a public recognition of your place in my life.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Don and I learned early that we needed other people that loved Jesus to influence our kids and God has consistently provided them. Tim has been a special person in your life and I can remember times in his home after Don died when he and Cathy took me in for parents' weekends and they hardly knew me. I remember him driving to Alpena with his son and then turning around and going right back the same day...12+ hours of driving. God bless him for the part that he has played in your life.