Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Economy

In my day to day work, which I try not to write about much here, I see lots of reminders that we are in a recession. I told Amanda last night that it seems that I have been seeing many more adults. In the last three days 10 out of 13 appointments have been adult learners. Many of those mentioned to me that they were out of work after a layoff. Today a man in his early 50's and his wife came in. We got to talking and my heart went out to them. He said, "I never thought I would be going back to school at this age." This and so many other things makes me so thankful that God has provided for me and my family. I have a good job. I don't have to worry where my next meal is coming from.

How about you? Where are you seeing evidences of the downturn in our economy? Has someone that you know or love been affected by the recent layoffs? As you sit down to dinner tonight or before you go to bed, say a prayer for all of the people that are dealing with difficult decisions and circumstances.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Thank you for your timely post. Monday a woman in my Bible study said that her husband had to lay off all of his employees and move his business into their home. He's in the construction industry which has been especially hard hit here. Another young woman said that she and her husband had a new construction home that they had to sell for "whatever they could get for it" just to get out from under it. I too have told the Lord how thankful I am for an income and all that He has provided for me. You are so right, if a person has a job today, they have MUCH to be thankful for.

Anonymous said...

We are definitely feeling it. For starters, we've obviously picked the wrong time (financially) for Alex to go back to school, only working part time. Our savings have taken a nose dive to say the least.

Starbucks is cutting jobs and hours. Alex normally works a minimum of 20 hours a week. Two weeks ago he was scheduled for only 8 hours. He has to work 20 hours per week for us to keep our health insurance. So to do that he has been picking up shifts in Kokomo, Indiana which is a 40 minute drive from our house. They have lost two shift managers and because Starbucks is on a hiring freeze, they are just pulling people from other stores. A 40 minute drive means that when Alex opens the store there he wakes up at 2:45 am. We had a foot of snow here this week and Alex had to drive to KoKomo as it fell at 3am. Needless to say, it has definitely affected our lives.
With that being said, we are grateful for a job, grateful that we are able to send Alex through school right now, and grateful for no mortgage.
We'll see what next year holds.