Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hymn of the Week--Our list so far

We have been doing the Hymn of the Week for the last couple of years. We have only been posting them here since August of last year. It has been a great way to invite others into our family worship. When we get together with family her in town they often already know what hymn we're doing that week and gladly join in. So here is the list of hymns that we have done so far. I'm sure we've missed writing some of them down, but I think we've gotten most of them.

  • Rock of Ages
  • Love Lifted Me
  • Have You Any Room For Jesus
  • Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us
  • Trust and Obey
  • Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise
  • Wonderful Grace of Jesus
  • What Can Wash Away My Sins?
  • When We All Get To Heaven
  • The Old Rugged Cross
  • What a Friend We Have In Jesus
  • Blessed Assurance
  • Great Is Thy Faithfulness
  • Standing On the Promises
  • My Country 'Tis of Thee
  • When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder
  • My Faith Has Found a Resting Place
  • O How I Love Jesus
  • Count Your Blessings
  • I Need Thee Every Hour
  • Fairest Lord Jesus
  • He Touched Me
  • Jesus Paid It All
  • All Creatures of Our God and King
  • Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee
  • How Firm a Foundation
  • Like a River Glorious
  • Jesus Saves!
  • In My Heart There Rings a Melody
  • O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus
  • There Is a Fountain Filled With Blood
  • Come, Ye Thankful People, Come
  • Angels, From the Realms of Glory
  • Have Thine Own Way, Lord
  • May The Mind of Christ, My Savior
  • I Surrender All
  • Day By Day
  • Redeemed, How I Love to Proclaim It
  • Our Great Savior
  • I Must Tell Jesus
  • When Morning Guilds The Sky
  • All The Way My Savior Leads Me
  • For the Beauty of the Earth
Have we missed your favorite? Are there any you don't know? Give us some feedback and suggestions. Thanks for reading (and maybe even singing.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great list and we think what you are doing with these in your family is admirable indeed! Here are a few more of my own favorites:
> The Love of God (v.3 my favorite verse of any hymn)
> Turn your eyes upon Jesus
> Jesus, the very thought of Thee
> Beneath the Cross of Jesus
> Oh to be like Thee
> O God our help in ages past
I increasingly appreciate that the focus of old hymns is worship, adoration, and a focus on Jesus and his finished work on our behalf -- the Cross. Too many of the "worship" songs we sing at our church focus on how we feel and what we need from Him.
My two cents...
D.

D.

Sharon said...

I agree with Dave! How about "And Can It Be". Benny would like the echo part in the chorus and it is, as Dave said, about what Jesus did for us. Thanks for HOTW. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Have you seriously never done
"How great Thou Art" and "It is well"?
Those and "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" are my favs.
T

robert said...

A good listing of some fine hymns. It caught my eye today because of Rock of Ages. Today is the 231st anniversary of the death of the author, Augustus Toplady. If you'd like to see a picture of the actual rock that gave him the idea for the hymn, you can check out my blog, Wordwise Hymns.

As to adding suggestions, being a hymn historian who has made a study of hymns most of my lo-ong adult life, it's difficult to say which is my favourite. Two you might add are: Jesus Loves Even Me ("I am so glad that our Father in heaven..."), beautifully simple, and simply profound. And It Is Well with My Soul.

God bless you and your family. Keep singing!