Monday, April 9, 2007

Music Blogs

There is a new trend out there called MP3 blogs. It goes something like this. Bobby loves alternative bands and goes to shows and tapes many of them. He then uploads them to his blog with a description of the show. Ideally, the band that he recorded has given him permission to record and to post the show. (Yes, some musicians are more interested in getting their music out than becoming millionaires.) Sometimes though, bloggers post mp3's that they do not have permission to post. This obviously is copyright infringement, but many bloggers put a disclaimer on their site stating that the music is just for sampling. They often put links up to places where you can buy the songs (Amazon, iTunes, emusic.) Because they are such small time operations and because they often focus on indie bands and unsigned bands, they skirt any sort of legal actions by record labels. Also, the links are usually only live for a given amount of time.

I have sampled a lot of music from these blogs. There is a very interesting search engine, The Hype Machine, that searches many of these blogs for songs or artists. You can enter your favorite artist and it will bring up all of the recent mp3's that have been posted. Then you can download them.

A couple of the blogs where I have found good music are the following.
Musicblog (Crown Pointe Church--Yes, the one at which Jon Cavanagh did an internship)
I just found this one today. The irony is thick when a church illegally posts worship music.
An Aquarium Drunkard
Alt-country, alternative
I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS
Springsteen, alt-country, folk
rbally
Lots of great live shows

Check out some of these blogs and The Hype Machine and let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Gregg said...

This seems like a great idea - I love finding rare live performances and cover songs from concerts that aren't on CDs.

I love to wonder what the future of music marketing will hold - I love artists who are more interested in spreading their music, but still understand the need for the artist controlling the distribution of their product.

Good post - good tips!

Gregg said...

I love looking back at my post, I love how many things I love.

Love, G.

Anonymous said...

i love this idea also. i love that you can get anything you love on the internet these days. i love the internet.
love,
Tricia