Monday, September 24, 2007

Children are a gift from God

Psalm 127:3 Children are a heritage from the LORD,
offspring a reward from him.

Yesterday at church before a baby dedication service, it was announced that our pastor's granddaughter had been born still born on Saturday. As I sat and watched our campus pastor dedicate the new babies and held the hand of my son, I cried for Pastor John, his son and their family. I thought of the many people that I love who have struggled or are currently struggling to have children. I thought of how blessed we are. I squeezed Benjamin again.

It often seems empty for me to offer my heart hurt to people who are struggling with bearing children. I have four children of my own. Because I love my kids so much though, I can imagine what the longing must be like to want children and be unable. I have prayed for each of you this morning. I have cried for each of you.

What are we to do amidst this and so many other sufferings? Are you alone? Are you hurting? Are you disappointed? Are you tired? Are you questioning why? At best, we can offer the words of Job during his sufferings, "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face" (Job 13:15). Or Job's response when he found out that all of his children had been killed. "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised" (Job 1:21). These responses seem distant at times. They are those of a Saint.

The thing that I am learning to cling to is that God loves me and that he wants my good. This is different, I think than a simple trite pat on the back. This is a relationship with the creator of the universe who is FOR ME! I don't really understand all that means. I struggle with it.

Wherever you are this morning, join me in praying for our pastor and his family. Join me in praying for people walking through various valleys. Pray that they might experience the presence of God.

3 comments:

Colbert Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Andy,
Thanks for your post. I have had heart aching moments this week with two different families who are waiting for children. And tonight when I was rocking Davy I felt the baby kick. i closed my eyes and made myself remember the depth of the sadness that now seems so far away. Thank you Jesus for letting me know this. Oh to be like Job.
T

Colbert Family said...

Andy, our pastor just spoke on James 5 this past Sunday and it applies to this painful subject as well. I understand how you feel and how your heart aches for your pastor. My family has experienced similar pains and I struggle with the fact that the person who is having this trouble, can't see how loving, gracious, and good our God is. Our God is great and it's tough for us all to see that in times of great pain. We will be praying for them.
Jim
James 5:7-10 7Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. 8You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near. 9Don't grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door!

10Brothers, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. 11As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.